• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Potato chicken stew

G

grillqueen79

This is what we had for dinner tonight and it was a pretty big hit. I didn't have frozen mixed vegetables so I used canned mixed vegetables instead.

4 cups cooked, cubed chicken breast
meat
2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion, sautéed in butter
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
6 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed
vegetables, thawed
3 cups cooked, diced red potatoes
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
Combine chicken, mushrooms, onion, carrots and stock in a large saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in sage, basil, garlic salt, parsley, mixed vegetables, potatoes and celery and cook until heated through. Stir in flour to thicken sauce, then serve.

T

TopChef

This sounds great. I love new soup recipes that my family might like. Making soups in the fall is so much fun! It is homey and cozy and good for you.

G

grillqueen79

We eat a lot of soup during the colder months. A lot of times I will cook soups in the crockpot so that the house smells warm and inviting all day.

H

hotcoals

This is pretty similar to how I make chicken stew, except for the mushrooms. Other than cream of mushroom soup, I'm not a fan of mushroom in soup for some reason. I do like mushrooms, but they kind of gross me out in soup.

H

Hilt

There is something about colder weather and great (yet simple) hot foods that seem to be amazing for everyone. I think tomorrow we might try something that has ham in it. I have a hankering for some ham and it is always a surprise when I do it (kids love it too).

O

ohiotom76

This sounds fantastic and I will definitely have to give it a try since I am a little burned out on soups with pasta in them - potatoes sounds like a nice alternative.

There is another chicken and potato stew I sometimes make in my pressure cooker, with just a handful of ingredients, but you could probably adapt this recipe (sans the frozen veggies, until the very end) for a similar technique.

I just peel and quarter some medium potatoes, roughly peel and chop an onion, a couple of rough chopped tomatoes, add a bay leaf and some seas salt and fresh ground pepper, then place some chicken thighs and drumsticks over everything, and pressure cook it all on high for about 15 minutes or so.

The result is a surprisingly flavorful soup/stew with so few ingredients and so little cooking. You will also notice I didn't add any liquids at all - it relies entirely on the moisture in the veggies and the chicken, which sweat off while cooking and form a concentrated broth.

I will either serve the chicken whole in the stew, or take it out, remove the skin and shred the chicken meat into it, which looks a little more presentable - since the skin wasn't browned.

The Freshness