• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Potato, Turkey Sausage & Jalapeno Hash

O

ohiotom76

This is the third day in a row that I've made this for breakfast, lol so I figured I would share it. Just eyeball the amounts to your liking. And be sure to sample the jalapeno in advance so you know how hot they are, we got an unusually hot batch a few weeks ago that was off the hook.

- Par-cooked diced or shredded potatoes
- finely diced fresh jalapenos
- diced red onion
- turkey breakfast sausage, either loose fresh or if it's pre-cooked, then dice it
- vegetable oil
- Spice Time brand Garlic & Pepper Seasoning to taste
- a few splashes of Tapatio hot sauce to taste

Throw everything in a hot skillet or pan and cook until the potatoes are golden and the turkey is cooked through and browned. I usually add the hot sauce mid way through cooking.

I've been meaning to try this with sweet potatoes instead, but I over cooked them when trying to par cook them, so I will have to try that another day.

T

Tarin

It looks good, but maybe a little time-intensive for three breakfasts in a row. You must really like it!

I think if I tried it, I would dial down the heat a touch, and replace the turkey sausage with regular sausage. Turkey sausage tends to come out pretty dry when I use it.

G

geekygriller

This sounds really good; I'll definitely have to try it. I wouldn't have time to make it for breakfast during the week, though. I would either have to do breakfast-for-dinner or save it for a Saturday or Sunday.

J

Jessi

Mmm, that sounds good.

The only thing missing for me would be an egg or two. I really like having eggs in or with my hash, whether it's scrambled directly in near the end or an overeasy egg laid on top or fried and to the side even.

How spicy is the turkey sausage you use?

O

ohiotom76

It's just Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage most of the time. But once in a while I will buy the Jenni-O brand turkey sausage links which come raw, and crumble them up.

I forgot to mention that I always have these with eggs too, lol.

I should also follow up that I have since put this into a burrito as well with some eggs and salsa and it came out really well too. I still haven't tried it with sweet potatoes though. I think the salsa is a must though since otherwise it's a bit too starchy overall.

J

Jessi

If you remove the potatoes and keep all the rest, that's how I make breakfast burritos, too. I don't normally put potatoes into a tortilla shell.

And in reference to the salsa, I like using spicy diced tomatoes and putting it directly into the mix sometimes. It's less watery/liquidy than salsa, so it holds nicely in a shell without dripping all over the place:

6a00d83451fa5069e201156fbf05ed970b-800wi

Sometimes they have onions, too. Same general kick of a salsa but without the liquid.

B

bingo33

This sounds fabulous. I love hash. I would add an egg or two though too. I love eggs for breakfast. I love sausage too. I am going to try this one this weekend. I bet salsa on top would top it off perfect.

L

L_B

This sounds really good and a great way to wake up the taste buds in the morning. We love things spicy and we love hash so this sounds like a great breakfast idea. It has to be good if you had it three days in a row. :)

D

Diane Lane

I love breakfast hash. Actually, I love hash at any time of day or night. I tend to eat a lighter breakfast, so I often have has for dinner or even occasionally, for brunch. I can't handle jalapenos, and I use Rotel all of the time (mild), so I'd swap those out, and although I don't have anything against turkey sausage, I tend to buy mild breakfast sausage in regular or maple flavor, and would substitute that. I definitely have to have eggs, and I like @Jessi's suggestion to put one or two on top or off to the side. When I make hash, I make a large batch, so I will have plenty of leftovers.

L

L_B

Left overs are always the best. I find that everything tastes better after it sets for a while and you heat it up the next day.