• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Preparing for a competition

L

Lincoln

Although I've been to competitions where I sampled the food, I have never actually tried to enter one. I was wondering how does one prepare to enter a BBQ competition? Do you have friends over for taste tests and keep tweaking the recipe until its perfect, or do you go with the tried and true and then work out how to make larger quantities of what you already know?

O

OsvaldoLuis

I imagine that they will make you do alot of food that its good and ready to eat or maybe not so much be very good.I have not been in any of those competitions before but that its what may happend.

Good luck!

S

smoky

We entered a chili competition with friends years ago. I know they bought all the ingredients and had a recipe we followed that they tested and made a number of times to get it as perfect as possible before the actual event. We were basically the crew so we didn't have a lot to do before the actual competition day. It was a lot of fun though.

I

Isabellas2007

When I prepared for a baking contest I made sure to sleep a couple of days before. By the time the competition would be getting ready I would be so nervous I could not do anything other then concentrate on the contest.

S

smokinDu

I have entered a couple. Don't let it intimidate you. It's a load of fun as long as you go with the mindset that your there to learn the first few times and if you win something.... all is great!!..
Make sure you contact the host well before hand and get the rules. Just about all of them will not let you do ANYTHING to the meat offsite or beforehand.
And best of all.. bring a huge appetite and some extra stuff to grill/smoke for the other ppl. its a very social affair.

B

bbqbrad

It depends on the contest as to how much meat you will cook. For a small contest I will cook 2 pork butts, a brisket and two slabs of ribs.

O

oportosanto

Nothing like knowing the rules. Making me hungry already to read this. :)

The Freshness