• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Seven Layer Salad

S

smokinhog

My family loves seven layer salad. The great thing about this recipe is that you can put anything in those seven layers. Saturday, I had lettuce, celery, carrots, peas, mayonaise, cheese and tomato. What do you put in your seven layer salad? I'm always looking for variations.

J

Jessi

I make mine as pea salad:

http://www.quirkycookery.com/2011/12/seven-layer-pea-salad-recipe-or-how-to.html

2lx9mza.jpg

O

ohiotom76

That looks really good. How far in advance can you make it before the lettuce starts to get wilted?

The pics kind of remind me of a "spinning bowl salad" I used to get at a local italian restaurant. Practically every piece of lettuce was coated with mayo and parm cheese. It was so rich, but sooo good.

J

Jessi

I usually make mine in the morning and we eat it that afternoon/evening.

IF, on the rare occasion, we have leftovers.... it's edible the next day but definitely soggy in comparison. The dressing gets mixed in at the time it's served, so it's bound to happen.

T

TopChef

I am not a fan. I can't get past all that mayo and those peas. I don't know if you can make it without mayo. I have to admit I give a little shudder when I see a 7-layer salad on a potluck table. It is hard for me to understand the appeal. Funny how one or two ingredients can ruin the whole thing for you. Maybe I would love it otherwise!

L

LuvThatBBQ

I haven't made this in a long time and had almost forgot about it. When I did make it I liked to add a layer of bacon. :) Also, some onions and bell pepper.

The Freshness