• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Spinach and Cheese Pasta Casserole

G

grillqueen79

This is a recipe that we tried out for dinner tonight and it was really good. We are trying to have meatless meals at least a couple of times a week.

1 (12 ounce) package medium seashell
pasta
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped
spinach, thawed
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 (26 ounce) jars tomato basil pasta
sauce
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar
cheese
1 (8 ounce) package shredded
mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain. Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan, and cook the spinach 4 to 6 minutes, until tender.
Place the cooked pasta in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil. Toss the pasta with the cooked spinach, egg mixture, and bread crumbs.
Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with 1/3 of the pasta sauce. Pour half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish, and cover with another 1/3 of the pasta sauce. Sprinkle with half of the Cheddar cheese and half of the mozzarella. Layer with remaining pasta mixture, and top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the rest of the Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

T

TopChef

This looks good! I make a variation of this, minus the cheeses and making into a casserole. So I know my kids would love this twist on a family favorite. The pesto masks the spinach for those who are not big spinach fans.