• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

The Older, the Better?

J

jneanz

I've never used cast iron in my cooking but would like to invest in a cookware set soon. There was a guy on TV today saying that he was proud of his 150-year-old iron skillet because it absorbed the flavors from each meal that was cooked. Can someone explain this logic to me?:frusty:

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
I like the older cast iron as it is lighter and works well for lower heat. You will notice a big difference in the weight of a 150 year old skillet versus a modern one.

Another thing is they are much smoother on the inside.

As far as for the flavors the carbon layer you build on cast iron will absorb some odor/flavors. I have known someone who uses a certain dutch oven for his chili and only his chili. He says it gives it a remarkable flavor. Same with someone who uses hers for a certain roast recipe. She swears the roasts do not taste the same in other CI she uses.

I personally have not really noticed nor had a problem with flavors being carried over.

I don't see any logical explanation for it. Maybe it is one of his personal beliefs that majority of us do not share him with. And I think the older it is, the more that it is fragile, the more that it has to be taken care of and be restrained from some specific cooking usage. So, the older, the better saying is pretty apocryphal here.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Older cast iron was often hand made and not massed produced. This would often mean that the cast iron was lighter and had a slicker surface without little bumps. The slicker surface would allow the food to slide off easier making a non-stick surface.

Also again there is the seasoning comes with the more use. She mentions it real quick.