• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Tuna Salad...

B

bigal3

One of my favorite foods is tuna salad. I like to use canned tuna; either the one in "oil" or the one in "brine". I prefer the brine but sometime the store is out of it and I use oil and add a little garlic salt to soak up some of the oil and not be too salty. Open and drain the tuna leaving a little brine or oil in so the salad will not be dry. Depending on how much salad you make you need to boil four to six eggs (hard boiled) and medium chop them. Add one finely chopped white or yellow onion,(you can even use chopped green onion) Sometime I use both for more flavor. Depending on how many you are serving will determine how much of the following ingriedients you use. I use a half to a full teaspoon of medium ground black pepper for 8 to 10 servings , You can salt the salad to your taste with either regular salt or for more garlic flavor I use garlic salt with the fresh chopped garlic. I particularly like the taste of "Cilantro" so I add to my taste several sprigs of chopped cilantro.
Mix all of the ingriedients with your favorite salad dressing next. I am probably one of the few people left on the planet who still likes "mayo" or "that other one" I can't mention here. Mix the ingriedients in your favorite salad bowl and chill in your fridge for an hour or two. Serve either as a salad or make tuna sandwiches with it. For me it is simple and delicious either way.

D

dissn_it

Sounds really good to me, I still like mayo, too! I like to make tuna sandwhiches and soup for dinner sometimes. I like how you have eggs added in. I have never tried using hard boiled eggs with tuna before. I will give your recipe a try the next "soup and sandwhich" dinner that we do. Thanks!

M

Mrs. Pirz

Tuna is one of my favorite things to make salads with and I actually am a Mayo and cream cheese lover in mine. I know a lot of places put celery in their tuna salad but I actually can't stand the flavor of celery so mine is always without celery. I usually make mine with tuna thats stored in water (oil ones always taste like aluminum to me.) I add salt, pepper, mayo, cream cheese, green onions and sometimes a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes or paprika.

P

Parker

I love canned tuna too. I use the tuna packed in water. I started eating and now the packed in oil just tastes oily to me. I'm not a fan of mayo. I never have been. I like to use a spicy red bell pepper hummus to make my tuna. It's really delicious and has a nice kick, but not overwhelming.

J

Jessi

I love tuna salad, but I really don't like it with eggs in it. Ours only has tuna, mayo, and pickles in it, with onions being preferred by not mandatory every time. I much prefer mayo over salad dressing, too, because the latter ends up tasting a bit sweet.

R

R. Paradon

Water packed tuna, drained, mayo - Never that other stuff that to my palate is garbage - minced onions, some crushed dry chili peppers and not much more. Before I add anything I will take a bottle of beer and a fork and keep on mashing up the tuna until it is almost a paste. (The beer is for me to drink :p). After it is all complete I will use it for sandwiches...placing a slice of swiss or cheddar cheese on it.

G

GwapaLala

I like all things tuna. But as for the canned variety, I'd always prefer the one in water or brine. Tuna salad is very heavenly especially when there's red onions!

S

steph84

I am a weirdo and don't like mayo, but I make my tuna salad with lemon and the rest of the ingredients. It's tasty and I add some pepper jack cheese! I might make some tuna for dinner now.

D

dconklin

I have never thought to put eggs in my tuna salad. I am simple with mine, but I only buy tuna in water. I then add a touch of mustard, garlic, mayo, pepper and no salt seasoning. I like to add a bit of onion too, but I don't always do that.

N

nene5

I've never added garlic to mine dconklin. Is it good? I might have to try that. I add in bell pepper.

O

ohiotom76

Usually just mayo, celery, and onion here and few grinds of black pepper. And I only use the tuna in the packs. But if I have fresh dill on hand I will throw that in too. Never tried it with cilantro as the person who started the thread mentioned. That would be pretty interesting.

Another version I had of it was a tuna salad made with vegan mayo, which is surprisingly good, that had all the ingredients above including dill, but it was mixed with pasta and sliced black olives. The vegan mayo is milder in taste, not as tart, but very creamy.

D

difrancprod

The cupboard is absolutely incomplete without canned tunas! They are very handy and it's so easy to make food and even experiment with canned tunas. I love tuna salad as well!!

S

shaun

We buy John West tuna in brine. John West is the best brand for tinned tuna, in my experience. I only eat tinned tuna once a week because I am concerned about the mercury content. It is nice in a salad with plenty of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and spring onions.

T

taskeinc

Sounds pretty simple, delicious, and healthy. Thanks for the recipe, this definitely looks like a winner. My daughter is a vegetarian but I might get her to eat a little tuna if it's fixed the way you described. Otherwise, I'll try your recipe with some tuna, for me and my son, and a portion w/o tuna.

S

shaun

This recipe is similar to the tuna sandwich filling I grew up with. My Mum used to mix tinned tuna with mayonnaise, cucumber, raw white onion, sweetcorn and lemon juice. I like sweetcorn with tuna because it is sweet and tinned tuna has a slightly bitter flavor.

P

Pat

I like tuna salad with pickles, a dash of dill weed added for taste. I also add old bay seasoning to my tuna and a dash of lemon juice. I don't care for mayo or salad dressing so I add just enough of either to mix the salad. Some times I will make a salad, a sandwich or add pasta for dinner.

J

jovan107

I do not like tuna salad, but the kids do. I think this is a great recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

The Freshness