• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

What seasoning Do You Like For BBQ Chicken?

H

hummingbirdee

We love BBQ chicken at our house. We would like to try something different from what we usually use. What are some good seasonings that you use to BBQ chicken? We like to keep it simple.

L

LoveThatBBQ

I like to use the Mrs. Dash onion and herb and also the garlic and herb. It has a lot of seasonings in it and give it a good flavor. Real simple to use too.

D

dconklin

Do you mean with BBQ sauce too or just done on the grill? I like to add garlic to the chicken before the BBQ sauce. I eat way too much garlic tho :)

Garlic does compliment the chicken before adding the sauce tho. If not with BBQ sauce, I like to use a mix of garlic and Italian spices. I use a spice combination that has a big mix of spices, but it was specially purchased at our garlic festival. It was also more expensive, but I don't think I could make it cheaper by the time I purchased everything that was in it. It has celery, onion, garlic, salt, parsley and several other things in it. I have another spice mix from the same company that is similar to a taco seasoning only better, this goes good on chicken thighs. Cajun spice goes good on thighs too.

S

smoky

I like to mix up a combination of cajun spice, powdered garlic, chili powder and a bit of cayenne. I'll also use a pepper mill for fresh pepper. The I sprinkle the spice mix onto the chicken as it's being grilled. It's quite tasty.

H

hummingbirdee

I like to use the Mrs. Dash onion and herb and also the garlic and herb. It has a lot of seasonings in it and give it a good flavor. Real simple to use too.
I have never tried onion and herb. I think it would be a hit at our house. We use a lot of garlic salt, so the garlic and herb is something that will also work.

H

hummingbirdee

I like to mix up a combination of cajun spice, powdered garlic, chili powder and a bit of cayenne. I'll also use a pepper mill for fresh pepper. The I sprinkle the spice mix onto the chicken as it's being grilled. It's quite tasty.
This would be great for putting some zing in the process. I have never used cajun spice but I love chili powder. This is why I asked the question, to get some good ideas.

H

hummingbirdee

Do you mean with BBQ sauce too or just done on the grill? I like to add garlic to the chicken before the BBQ sauce. I eat way too much garlic tho :)

Garlic does compliment the chicken before adding the sauce tho. If not with BBQ sauce, I like to use a mix of garlic and Italian spices. I use a spice combination that has a big mix of spices, but it was specially purchased at our garlic festival. It was also more expensive, but I don't think I could make it cheaper by the time I purchased everything that was in it. It has celery, onion, garlic, salt, parsley and several other things in it. I have another spice mix from the same company that is similar to a taco seasoning only better, this goes good on chicken thighs. Cajun spice goes good on thighs too.

Your suggestions are great. I wanted to know what other people did, sauce or not. Garlic is something that I like, too. The Italian spices would be a nice addition. I see another thumbs up for cajun so I am definitely going to get some and try it.

D

dissn_it

One of our favorites is a BBQ teriyaki chicken and another one is a BBQ lemon pepper chicken. Both of them are really good. We used to have them in the store where they were packaged with the flavor already in the chicken meat but cannot find them that way any more. We usually make our own marinade now but have also bought and used bottled marinade with good results. After they have marinaded for several hours, we BBQ them over charcoal briquets. The mix of marinaded chicken and BBQ falvor is delicious.

R

rayne

I simply use seasoned salt and cook very slow. If I add BBQ sauce, it's at the very, very end when there is little chance of flame up. I have also used lemon pepper and italian dressing. All are great compliments to the meat.

S

soulglazed

Garlic and onion usually goes perfect with BBQ chicken in general. That with some basic salt and pepper, parsley and maybe a little bit of cayenne. Some people are surprised by it but I think a dash of basil or oregano can be great with BBQ as well, it's all about the balance.

B

BonnyC

The best BBQ chicken that I've ever had was a spicy Cajun kind. I'm a sucker for Cajun food, though. It had a really rustic flavor and a fair bit of garlic. I need to get the recipe from my Uncle so I can make it once a week after I get my first grill! You really can't go wrong with a good old sweet BBQ chicken dish with homemade sauce.

B

bigal3

When I do chicken I keep it simple. I use Salt and black pepper and sometime I will use a little oregano. For me simple is better. The key to my chicken is the wood and/or charcoal I use and to cook it slowly over a medium fire. I never use BBQ sauce early in the process. It is applied in the last five to ten minutes depending on how big the fire is. The result is moist and taste Um, Um, Good!

The Freshness