• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Who remembers Jiffy Pop?

B

BarbiQ

We always used to buy this years ago to take camping. I haven't seen it in the stores for a long time! A friend of mine told me that she just found some (I forget which store she said!) and she bought a bunch of them for next time we go. It's fun for all the kids especially.

I did just check and Amazon is selling it, but at a much higher price than it used to be before all that microwave junk came along. I swear I thought it had been discontinued and am happy to say that it hasn't been.

R

rayne

I remember Jiffy Pop. It was such a treat when mom bought one. As a child, I was amazed how that much popcorn could be in one container and the best part was watching it expand while it popped. I need to see if I can find some for my kids.

T

TopChef

I have seen it in stores, but haven't bought it recently. I bet my kids don't remember it, as they were pretty little the last time we had it. They were so amazed, growing up in the microwave popcorn generation.

B

BarbiQ

It's just such a fun thing to do. It is a little tricky to do over an open fire but it is possible if you attach a sort of handle to it so you don't get your hand near the fire. I will never forget the look on my friend's son's face when the first kernel popped. He jumped about four feet into the air. :D

B

Ben

Oh yeah, I do remember it very well. The one problem we had with it, was that the popcorn was very dry. The good thing about the microwave popcorn is it has the butter with it. I used to make my own popcorn with a hand crank popper and olive oil. It was the freshest popcorn I ever had!

B

BarbiQ

Real butter is always the best. That fake stuff that they put in the microwave popcorn is horrible. As a kid, I remember my dad popping corn for us on the stove in a heavy stainless steel pot with a lid. He would be shaking that thing like crazy. It was a lot of work but it sure tasted good.

G

Grill Master

I still see Jiffy Pop in the stores. We have a kettle that fix popcorn in over the open flame. The kids love it. We still fix our popcorn in a pot on the stove. It sure beats that microwave stuff.

B

ber4

We buy it every year and we pop it over the campfire. I remember it was easier when I was a kid. Sometimes we get the campfire too hot and the popcorn doesn't pop - it burns!

D

DDavies

You can visit the ConAgra website to find a location near you that still sells Jiffy Pop. They have a handy search feature.

My dad was the official popcorn popper in my house when I was growing up. My mom always burned it LOL!

I didn't like butter poured directly on the popcorn, I like to dunk it in butter. So, I always had a bowl with a little melted butter. Sometimes, I would add pepper or garlic salt to the butter for a change of pace.

S

SmrtGuy

Love the big round ball of tinfoil and watching it fill with Jiffy Pop. I seem to be able to find it at Walmart whenever I am about to go camping. Try there because everyone has a Walmart close by...

E

evelynmcgregor

Jiffy Pop! A real blast from the past. A loved watching the dome develop and then breaking in and finder the tender, white, yummy pieces of popcorn. Yes, I think I have seen it at WalMart. We always kept it on hand and after grilling, my Dad would place it in the coals and my four sisters and I would wait impatiently for it to finish popping. We would sit in the backyard and enjoy our after grilling treat. Such a warm, fuzzy memory!

The Freshness