• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Whole hog.

A

ABURLEIGH

How are you supposed to prepare a hog for the pit. Have a family thing I am catering and doing 4 whole hogs. Please help.

M

MissPeggy

Oh my, I don't think I would be doing something like that if I had never cooked up whole hogs before! You may need to make a few phone calls or do some research online to see what you can find out. That is a lot of work but should be worth it in the end. Good luck.

B

ber4

Sure sounds like a lot of work. I really don't know! I have been to many pig roasts but I've never been the one to get the pigs ready. I think it's a nasty job! Don't forget the apple in the pigs mouth!

B

Briquet

It is a lot of work. We reference this long (but good) discussion on roasting pigs. I prefer to get the pig prepared if I can, but I have been around to watch the pig die and scrape off bristles. Luckily my father-in-law did the actual killing and gutting.

J

Juliette

The way I prepare for a big pig picking is to call my brother-in-law. He fixes the best barbecue I've ever eaten. Nothing I could do could top it, but I don't have a clue what he does.

J

Juliette

Marmidor, I think that's what my brother-in-law does. I've been there when he pulled a whole hog out of the back of his truck and slapped it onto his pig cooker. It was already dressed. He does a lot of basting, and his sauce is out of this world.

O

oportosanto

A whole hog certainly requires some technique, so if you don't have it I would ask for advice to someone with more experience.

The Freshness