• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

BBQ Wild Mushroom Calzone

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
  • 12 ounces wild mushrooms or other mushrooms sliced thickly
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
Cheese Filling
  • 1 cup ricotta
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese softened
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese softened
  • 2 small red-ripe tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Pinch of dried hot red chile flakes
  • Pizza Crust
  1. Prepare the smoker, 200-220 degrees
  2. Rub the mushrooms with enough oil to coat their surfaces and salt them lightly. Arrange on grill rack or heavy duty foil.
  3. Transfer them to the smoker and cook for 15-20 minutes, until they ooze liquid and are soft. Keep them warm or bag and refrigerate for later use.
  4. Preheat the oven to 425, use a pizza stone if available, placing it in the oven before you heat it.
  5. Stir together the cheese filling ingredients
  6. If not using a pizza stone and peel, place the dough rounds on greased pizza pans or baking sheets.
  7. Spoon half of the filling over each crust, covering just one half of each, and leaving about 1/2 inch edge around.
  8. Divide the mushrooms between the two calzones, sprinkling them evenly over the cheese filling. Fold the uncovered side of the dough over the filled portion. PUll the bottom edge up over the op edge and crimp the edge neatly and tightly.
  9. Cut a 1 inch slit in the top of each calzone. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cook for 5 minutes before slicing into.

J

Jenine

Good recipe. I love calzones and strombolis especially from my favorite pizza places. I also like the fact that this recipe has mushrooms, which are my absolute favorite.

M

Mrs. Pirz

I could have used this last year when I was looking for a vegi dishes for a dinner party of doctors with a surprise vegi eating guest!!! I wish I wouldve had this instead of a vegi lasagna - to be honest it was kind of tasteless. This seems much yummier. I will bookmark it if you dont mind

L

Laurasav

I've never made calzones before, but this recipe title really caught my eye. I love mushrooms. This sounds like a good recipe to try in the near future. I just made pizza last night and used plenty of fresh mushrooms, along with turkey pepperoni. YUM!

D

dissn_it

Sounds delicious! I have never made calzones before but this looks like a good recipe for a beginner like me to try. We live in an area where we can forage for wild mushrooms. I have done it for years so I do know what ones to look for and which ones to avoid. It is nice to get wild mushrooms for free. I'll give your recipe a try as soon as I can find some wild mushrooms.

F

FlanneryCam

As a vegetarian who loves the smell of BBQ, I want to learn how to cook as much as I can on the BBQ. This recipe sounds fabulous. I'm especially excited to try out the mushrooms.

How would adding hot peppers to the mix go?

I'm going to have to go out and get myself a pizza peel to go with my pizza stone!

O

ohiotom76

I love Calzones and Stromboli's - there are so many different ways you can make them. One of the pizza shops near us actually puts some crumbled hard boiled egg and some diced ham into their strombolis along with the sauce and cheeses (which includes ricotta). I'm not sure what part of Italy this is traditional in, but I've also seen people do that with baked pasta dishes (add in ham and hard boiled egg, with the ricotta). It's a nice unexpected flavor, and gives it an authentic home made taste.