• The BBQGeeks Forum is now a part of the BackyardBoss family! In addition to BBQ, we will be building out the forums to include even more great discussions surrounding your backyard realm.

Working from home

S

Sage

My wife and I both work from home at different jobs. The problem is that when she doesn't feel like working, she doesn't want me to either. I have deadlines to meet so I can't just flutter off at the drop of a hat like she can, but try explaining that to her!

S

smokinhog

Oh my. You do have a situation. Believe it or not, my hubby and I do the same thing. Only, we respect each other's deadlines. I usually go off and do laundry or read or work in the yard while he is finishing up. Maybe you could suggest that and give her a time that you would be done. It's worth a try.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
I'm glad I have an office now where I can shut and lock the door. It does not always help, but a good majority of the time it does. Find yourself a way to lock yourself in and it may help.

B

Burg14

I don't work from home but I can see where that would be a problem. I don't think I could work at home because I would be the same as your wife. I wouldn't want to work!

B

Bbqguy

When I did have the luxury of working from home my wife knew that my home office was off limits. I'd be done when I was done. Working from home typically meant longer hours than if I was at an office. Now I'm done at 5:00-5:30 and its quitting time.

S

Sage

I have told her that I am at work, whether I am in an office or not. She still doesn't seem to understand. I don't bother her when she is working but her job is a little more flexible. She just has to take calls and she can do it whenever she feels like it and do as many or as few as she wants to.

B

Briquet

That must be frustrating. I guess since she has flexibility she assumes you do as well. I agree that having a door you can shut may help somewhat and hopefully if you just keep discussing it, she'll finally get it.

H

Hilt

Working together at home or a standard office can have its perks and its down low's. I have worked a few jobs with my spouse before and we quickly learned that we can not be in the same room together. We are both too hardheaded and stubborn to let the other take full control of the situation. I think if you can find a middle ground to work with, where both respect the others deadlines you will be okay.

T

TopChef

This reminds me of the classic retirement scenario. The man retires and the woman still has a house to keep. So he wants to play and hang around all day, while she still has work to do.

eleonbay

I was also having the same issue until I decided to build a shed at the backyard. When she does not feel like working, I move to the shed and lock the door from inside to avoid disturbance. You can try that as well. It really worked for me

Last edited by a moderator:

The Freshness