We know that husbands and wives love spending time with each other, that’s why they’re living together after all! But let’s be honest, isn’t it sometimes nice to have space of your own once in a while? Designing a man cave for yourself can be a great way to put your creative talent to work, while providing an opportunity for both of you to get some alone time.
Designing a man cave can seem like a daunting task, but it actually isn’t! By creating an area that is just for you, you will be able to showcase your items that your wife doesn’t want to see in the rest of the house. So really, it’s a win-win for both of you.
What You Will Need
Once you have decided that you want a man cave, it’s time to start thinking about how to decorate it. The space can look however you want it to, but there are a few essentials that are a must have for a man cave. We’ve listed a few common ones below:
Mini Bar and Fridge
It goes without saying that the man cave will see its fair share of hungry and thirsty men. Whether you want a snack after dinner, or to have a few drinks with your friends on the weekend, a mini bar and fridge will definitely be needed. It is convenient to have an extra storage place for food and drinks, because the main fridge in the kitchen tends to fill up quicker than you think.
Heating and Cooling
No man cave can truly be enjoyable unless the heat and air conditioning are adequate to support long days and nights in the space. If your home lacks central heat and air, consider including a space heater or portable air conditioning unit.
You should try to include a fun activity that doesn’t involve electronics, because we get more than enough screen time as it is. A dart board is a good option in this area, as it can be hung up on the wall and not take up too much space. Darts are fun for groups of people or even for someone playing by themselves. It isn’t just a competitive game; dart boards can also be used simply to practice your throwing and accuracy.
Reclining chairs are good, but reclining sofas are even better! Incorporating this piece of furniture will allow for a comfortable and relaxing night after coming home from work. Sofas have more seating, which is better for parties or small get-togethers. Typically, leather sofas have the stereotypical man cave feel to them, but whatever type you get depends on your individual preference.
Pool tables are great because a lot of people can be included, either playing the game or watching the progress from the sidelines. They tend to be a popular party game or can also be fun to play with one or two people in a more casual manner. Pool tables can get a bit pricey, but there are a lot of budget-friendly pool tables available if you take the time to look for them. Often people will sell their used ones for a bit cheaper, so try to check out different places in the community to buy one.
What man cave is truly complete without a massive TV to go along with it? Larger screens create a bigger impact when you first walk into the room, but if the space isn’t very large, then smaller ones can work too. You can also set up any game systems or stereo equipment that you might have to your TV. This will be the perfect environment to watch the game, or late-night TV. You don’t have to go crazy in this department, because you will need to save some of the budget for the rest of the furniture and decorations as well!
Instructions on How to Create a Man Cave
The most important thing to remember when designing your man cave is that it is your space, and nobody else’s. If you want to have a tacky ornament that your wife hates, this is the place to put it. You can also take this opportunity to put any awards or certifications that you are proud of up on the walls. If you need a guide about what to do next, here are some hints that may help you get started on creating your man cave.
Step 1: Choosing an Area
The first step in this project is to figure out where you want the man cave to go. Often times people will select a room that has no purpose other than additional storage. The following are common places for man caves:
- Converted garage
Any of these will work just fine, whichever one you choose depends on the space available to you in your home. Also consider how many people will be in the space during get-togethers and how comfortable it will be to fit them all in. The room does not have to be incredibly large; it just needs to be organized in a manner that fits all the furniture and equipment that you want to have.
Step 2: Check Out the Electrical Capabilities
- There is no doubt that your man cave is going to need a lot of electrical outlets and possibility a wiring update. With all the cool new gadgets that you are going to be put in, you need to make sure that the room can handle it. If you are not careful about this, you may end up shorting a circuit if you try to plug too many things in.
- This step is where it is beneficial for you to contact a professional electrician. If they find that an upgrade is needed, they can take care of that and make sure that everything is safe and up to code. Do not try to work with the electricity or the wiring if you do not know what you are doing! This is dangerous and could lead to you getting a bad shock.
Step 3: Design the Theme
- Getting the theme right can be a tricky step for some people. The space isn’t meant to look ostentatious, but you also don’t just want a mismatch of things thrown together. A theme can be centered around one particular item that you really like. For example, you could design the whole space around framed sports memorabilia that you have hanging up.
- Once you have a theme picked out, it will be easier for you to decide on the smaller decisions, such as paint colours and flooring. Having a focal point already picked out will make it easier for you to decide on how you want the rest of the space to look and feel. It will also help because you won’t feel as overwhelmed with a seemingly endless possibility of different choices.
Step 4: Soundproof and Insulate
- It is likely that the man cave is in an area that was formerly underused. Therefore, it might take a bit of extra work to bring it to your desired comfort level. Insulating and soundproofing will ensure that you stay nice and warm, and that you can watch TV as loudly as you want to.
- If you are not familiar with how to do this, you can read about the process online and watch videos. Salespeople in the hardware stores are also good sources of information, and they can usually point you in the right direction. This can be a fairly inexpensive project if you shop around for different options.
Step 5: Consider the Plumbing Component
- Adding plumbing to a space can be a big job, but it may be worth it depending on the situation. If the man cave is far away from the kitchen or a bathroom, it may be worth it to consider adding a sink, or a small powder room.
- Another reason to consider plumbing is if you want to have a wet bar in your man cave. This is certainly the more convenient option, especially if you plan on having friends over often. However, a dry bar can serve this purpose as well, so it depends if you want to go the extra mile.
- Plumbing additions should also be done by a professional so that you know everything is going to be operating efficiently. There are parts of the job that you may be able to do by yourself, depending on the amount of background knowledge that you have on the subject.
So how did your man cave end up turning out? It can be an ambitious project, but the end payoff is certainly worth it! Again, the great thing about having a man cave is that it is a space built specifically for you, it is for you to decide what you want to do with it.
Do you have any advice about the best method of creating a man cave, or personal experience from when you did it? We would love to hear all about it! Feel free to leave a comment about your ideas or experiences so that others can get some more inspiration. We hope you liked reading this article, and that you enjoy your new man cave!