How to Make Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash is all the rage right now, and for good reason. It’s tasty, healthy, and easy to cook. Butternut squash soup can be found at fancy restaurants, weddings, etc. but you don’t need a fancy event to enjoy it. You can make the creamy soup right at home with this easy roasted butternut squash soup recipe!
Honestly, it’s so simple. Anyone could follow this recipe. I make it quite often, my kids devour it, and it’s super healthy. Butternut squash is chock full of vitamins, not to mention the other awesome veggies you can sneak in such as celery, peppers, and carrots.
So, buckle up. All you need are some fresh veggies, herbs and spices, a pan, broth and a blender to make this delicious, creamy soup.
- 1 bag of frozen, diced butternut squash. I buy the pre-chopped frozen stuff because it’s easier. And when it’s on sale I can stock up and fill my freezer.
- 1/4 tsp of rosemary. You can use more if you really love it.
- 1/4 tsp salt. Try and limit your salt because the broth will have it.
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes. Less is more when it comes to these. If you like it spice, add more, by all means. But their effect increases when cooked.
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cups of broth. You can use the store bought stuff. Personally, I make my own broth at home and freeze it. That way, I avoid preservative and the high sodium levels. Also, it doesn’t matter which kind. I used vegetable broth for this, but you can go chicken if you prefer.
- 3 full carrots
- 1/2 a bunch of celery
- 4 cloves of garlic. If you or anyone in your household is suffering from a cold, add even more garlic to help!
- 1 sprig of green onion
- a medium sized roasting pan
- large pot
- blender. I used a Magic Bullet, but anything that blends will do the job just fine.
Now you’re ready to start blending your soup! If you’re using a large blender or mixer, feel free to add the whole lot and dump in your broth, blending until you get a nice, creamy consistency.
Myself, I used a Magic Bullet, so I had to do small portions at a time. I added a few spoonful’s of my roasted vegetables, plus enough broth just to cover it. Mixed until creamy and smooth and then dumped into my large cooking pot. I repeated this until I had mixed all the ingredients.
And there you have it! This homemade roasted butternut squash soup recipe is foolproof. Seriously, anyone can toss veggies in a pan and then blend them up. And, I promise you, this is the best, creamiest, soup you will ever eat. It’s my go-to comfort food during the colder months and my kids absolutely love it. What more could you ask for? And one of the best things about this recipe is that you can spend the day making a large batch and divide into containers to freeze! They’d make great on-the-go lunch ideas, or a smart and quick meal when you’re not in the mood to cook.
Did you try this recipe? Did it work out? Did you make any tweaks? If so, let us know how it turned out! Comment and share below! And check this out for more awesome veggie recipe ideas.