Are Succulents Poisonous to Dogs? - Backyard Boss
We are reader supported. External links may earn us a commission.

Are Succulents Poisonous to Dogs?

Succulents are plants that are super easy to grow, which is why a lot of people choose to have them. You can go up to 15 days without having to water one of these babies, so they kind of seem like the perfect plants for beginners, people who are lazy, or people who forget. But are they a good option for people who have dogs?

Which Succulents Are Toxic to Dogs?

Image credits: Berkay Gumustekin via Unsplash

Pretty much the same succulents that are toxic to cats are also toxic to dogs. Don’t assume that just because dogs are typically bigger than cats that their bodies can safely ingest a larger amount of toxins without any consequences. Some of the succulents that are toxic to dogs include:

  • The Jade plant is a type of succulent that’s poisonous to dogs. While the exact toxic substance that causes a reaction in dogs is unknown, pets that do end up being poisoned eventually have a reduced heart rate, lack coordination, and end up vomiting a lot.
  • Aloe vera is toxic to cats and dogs alike. The aloe inside the aloe plant is what causes the toxic reaction, and when a dog has that substance in its body, it will start losing appetite, have all sorts of stomach-related problems, show color changes in its urine, and may even start shaking uncontrollably.
  • The silver dollar is a very common succulent that causes toxic reactions in dogs. The most common symptoms of silver dollar poisoning in dogs are vomiting and nausea.
  • Snake plants contain something called saponins, which is a toxin that is harmful to dogs. When your pet ingests this toxin, they will experience mild toxicity and mostly show signs of upset stomach, like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
  • The panda plant is also toxic to dogs. They have insoluble calcium oxalates, which are crystals that can irritate the dog’s tissues. If your dog swallows this substance, they will most likely have difficulties in swallowing, but also experience mouth irritation and vomiting.

What Happens If a Dog Eats a Succulent?

This, of course, depends on the exact type of succulent and the number of toxins ingested. Most dogs will experience stomach problems when being poisoned by a toxic plant, and these include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, a tender/swollen stomach, etc. Some of these toxins can go further and cause a series of more complicated problems, including heart disease.

Are Succulents Safe for Pets?

With some exceptions (like the ones we mentioned earlier), yes. Even if there are certain varieties of succulents that contain toxins that might be extremely harmful to your pet, these types of planets are mostly safe. There are plenty of succulents that won’t poison your pet, including ponytail palm, Christmas cactus, tree cactus, copper rose, burro’s tail, and others.

What Plants Are Toxic to Dogs?

Brown dog carrying large stick through woods
Image credits: Jamie Street via Unsplash

Dog owners know that these amazing four-legged companions would put just about everything in their mouths, which is why it’s very important for owners to know which plants are ok to be around the house and which ones are toxic. Some of the plants that are toxic to dogs (and the symptoms they display) include:

  • Asparagus fern – Ingesting the berries causes abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
  • Begonias – They can cause mouth burns, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulties in swallowing.
  • Gardenias – Will mostly cause vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Carnations – This Will cause stomach problems and a mild form of dermatitis.
  • Crocus – Can cause dogs to vomit blood, induces shock, irritates the mouth, causes multiple organ damage.
  • Ivy – It can lead to a wide range of symptoms, from mild ones (like rashes) to severe ones (like paralysis).
  • Tomatoes – Tomato leaves can lead to loss of appetite, confusion, and even low heart rate.

Is Lavender Toxic to Dogs?

This question has a more complicated answer than you think and here’s why. The lavender plant itself contains a compound which is known as linalool. This particular compound is toxic to cats and dogs alike but since it’s present in a very low quantity, it’s usually not a threat.  However, if your dog happens to ingest a large quantity of lavender, then they are prone to poisoning.

Should this occur, the dog will start showing symptoms which include vomiting, constipation, lack of appetite, stomach swelling or tenderness, and even fever. Take your doctor to the vet immediately if you suspect they have lavender poisoning. Treatment includes IV fluids mostly, as the goal is to flush the toxins out of the dog’s system.

Which Plants Are Not Toxic to Dogs?

Thankfully, the list of plants that’s not poisonous to dogs is longer than the list of plants you’ll need to keep your dog away from. Some of the most common house plants that are safe to grow around dogs include spider plants, tillandsia, Boston ferns, staghorn ferns, prayer plants, rosemary, cat grass, bluebird succulents, and others.

Image credits: SabbraCadabra via Pixabay


Having plants is great, having dogs is even more awesome, but what if you had to choose between the two. Even if we are used to seeing dogs outdoors, running and playing around, and chewing on just about everything, it’s important to know that there are certain plants that your dogs shouldn’t come in contact with.

Some plants can cause problems simply when the dog’s skin comes in contact with them, while others are dangerous only if ingested because of the toxins they contain. Whatever the case, it is the duty of the pet owner to make sure the plants that dogs have access to are safe to be around.